CONFIDENT IN LOVE



I once dated a man who seemed to be very godly and I thought he was really into me. He'd text and call me several times a day, follow and like my posts in Facebook, etc. He was kind, sweet, caring, and seemed to be concerned with my spiritual growth and would even pray for me. He made me feel special. He awakened emotions from me until I came to a point that I knew I've fallen for him. And then he stopped. The text messages and calls became seldom - from once or twice a day, until it became once or twice a week. I asked him about it. He apologized, saying he was just busy with ministry and work. I forgave. But nothing changed. It  actually became worse.

Confusion. Hurt. Doubt. Depression. Bitterness. Fear. Insecurity. All these negative thoughts and emotions came crashing in. For months I've emotionally struggled and prayed to God for wisdom. As I felt this chapter of my life was about to end I began to ask -- there must be a purpose for this pain.

That's when my prayer changed, asking the Lord to not let me leave empty-handed, but rather with lesson learned and character changed. "Teach me what you want me to learn from this, Lord." And that's when the Lord graciously gave His answer:

I am most confident when I KNOW I am loved. I felt what I did towards this man because his "love" (or at least his attention or attraction) was inconsistent, wavering, unreliable, or worse, unreal. I felt insecure because I found no security in his affection towards me.

"Hey graceless heart," I preached to myself, "you do know of a much greater love than this!" That God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, that whoever believes in Him and what He had accomplished on the Cross, will not perish but have everlasting life (paraphrasing John 3:16).  This love is eternal, consistent, and unwavering! This love was what I am unworthy of as a sinner but was unconditionally bestowed upon me, through Christ, not because of anything I've done to acquire it, but because love is who God is! It is by this holy love, with the precious Blood of Christ as its seal, that I have the right to be called a daughter of God, the right to come boldly to Him in prayer and have fellowship with Him. It is the love that accepts me for who I am and changes me -- regenerates and sanctifies me through the work of the Holy Spirit, preparing me for eternity to come.

Through Christ, I am certain that I am loved by the Lord! In God's love there's fullness. In His love I am secured. In His love there is no fear. And in His love there is healing. Yes, I am confident in This Love!

@attic_kat



Comments

Popular Posts