Do We Truly Know God and His Word?



Imagine being required in class to watch an awesome 3-hour epic movie, like the Lord of the Rings (LOTR) for example. Yet by some circumstance – laziness perhaps, or you’ve been so distracted with other stuff like Facebook or Instagram, etc., you didn’t have enough time to really, really watch it, I mean to truly appreciate the movie and absorb its message. Instead, you ended up fast forwarding the movie (might have rewinded on some parts), probably choosing the highlights and skipping the other parts, just so you could say you’ve watched it.

And then the next day you were suddenly called to share LOTR to a group of indigenous teenagers, with eyes expectantly looking at you, glimmering with excitement and hunger for the story you’d be sharing (a group of youth who probably haven’t seen a flat screen in their entire lives)! What would you do? Tell your little summary, probably add your own bits and pieces to cover up the parts that you didn’t watch? Without thinking that these youth would go home to their own families and most likely excitedly share your “summary” to their parents and little siblings.

I know it was a silly comparison, but just imagine if we do the same thing with our Bibles. What kind of message would we be imparting to people when we go out to share the Word of God?

This scenario came to my mind while I was thanking the Lord for inspiring me to read the Bible systematically. I remember as a young Christian, I barely opened my Bible. Those little Scripture portions featured in devotionals would be my “daily bread.” Guess how spiritually malnourished I was? I was like the LOTR person who would choose books that are action-packed, encouraging or easy-to-read and skipping the kinda-make-my-nose-bleed books like parts of Leviticus and Numbers.

But it was when, by God’s grace, I forced myself to really read the Scriptures that I begin to have a broader understanding of God’s attributes. It was then that I was awestruck by God’s massive love and that I was mind-blown by His plan of redemption for His children through Christ Jesus and how we are being made holy by the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit.

It was when I finally read the whole Bible that I’ve cried over my sin and spiritual depravity and ran to God in repentance. But it was also the time when I finally found my assurance that I am saved and justified through Christ and I am a truly a child of God! It was through reading and reading (or hearing and hearing, as the Scripture says) the Word of God that my faith is strengthened and have known what His promises are. It was through His Word and the guidance of the Holy Spirit that I am now learning how to pray and intercede, to walk in His ways, and to love God more!

Brothers and sisters, let me encourage you, join me in reading and studying the entire Bible! 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says “ALL SCRIPTURE ("All," not “some”) is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God (that would be us!) may be adequate, equipped for every good work.”  It may be hard at first and may require a lot of discipline on your part, but it will be such a delight as you push through with it. Use whatever strategy you deem best so long as you read the whole Bible!

Let’s know the Lord our God. Let’s know the God whom we are preaching or ministering about. Let’s read the Bible with a purpose. He is worthy!

“You will seek Me and find Me when you see Me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13



Comments

Popular Posts