BE LIKE THE BEREANS



I’ve been there myself. Growing up in Christian faith where I’ve been taught that all I needed was to follow the ABC’s of Salvation (Accept that I am a sinner, Believe that Christ died for my sin, Confess Jesus as Lord and Savior of my life), say the “sinner’s prayer” and I am declared saved. It was the assurance that I held on, like a ticket to heaven. I even made gospel tracts based on that “truth.” But was it the truth?

My heart felt that there was something off because somehow, in my life as a sinner, I felt rebellious towards God. I wasn’t running towards Jesus to “accept” Him. Instead I was like Adam and Eve, I wanted to run and hide in my shame. If He could just leave me alone! BUT GOD IS SOVEREIGN. He doesn’t need “acceptance.” God sought me out even though I didn’t deserve it. He called me by my name and made me His.

As I grew in faith, I saw how God has been leading me. From being a lazy, undisciplined Christian who was content on chewing on some spiritual snacks from self-help devotionals and dozing off before I could even say my “amen,” I’ve slowly learned to feast upon the Bread of Life – digging deep into the Scriptures and be humbly led by the Holy Spirit in prayer. God has led me to follow preachers who teach sound doctrine, careful not to use Scriptures out of context, preachers who don’t sugarcoat to make me feel better but instead preach the true Gospel of Christ which showed me my spiritual depravity in contrast to the holiness of God, brought me to my knees in repentance, and let my soul sing with thanksgiving at God’s amazing grace. In Christ, I’ve found salvation and new life. Through the Holy Spirit, God continues His work of regeneration and sanctification in me. Because I am His, He will make me holy for He is holy. He will prepare me for eternity.

God has taught me to be wary, to examine everything – the pastors and the preaching I listen to, the books I read, the churches and conferences (especially the big ones) I go to, and even the worship songs I listen to – DO THEY CONFORM TO THE WORD OF GOD? I would feel the Holy Spirit’s warning, making me restless until I am driven to search and plead for discernment, and I wouldn’t have peace until God points out what was wrong. I’ve seen how God has disciplined me as a loving Father. He’s the Good Shepherd, and I am a sheep in His flock. He wouldn’t let the enemy steal a lamb from His flock.

Scriptures tell us that in the last days, many will be deceived (Matthew 24). Let’s become like the people of Berea (Acts 17:11)– EXAMINE EVERYTHING. LET’S OPEN UP OUR BIBLES and check if what was being taught conforms to what the Scriptures say. Don’t nod your heads just because the pastor is famous and has sold lots of books. Don’t go to a church just because thousands of people attend. Don’t raise your hands just because the worship team is hip. Be careful in running after what’s famous, attractive, loud, and extravagant. (2 Tim. 4:-3-4) Let’s be like the Bereans. Always examine everything and ask the Holy Spirit for discernment.


Comments

Popular Posts